cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] After Disney or: Help Robot George Get A Life

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] After Disney or: Help Robot George Get A Life
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:53:21 -0400 (EDT)

>> See also http://www.magnatune.com
>> They make deals with musicians selling music,
>> splitting the money 50-50 (I believe),
>> and release the work CC-BY-SA-NC.
>
> The musicians also keep their copyright, and the
> contract they sign with Magnatune is non-exclusive.

Ah, good point. Non-exclusive makes a big difference.
I knew there was a reason I liked Magnatune.
That, plus groups like "Hands Upon Black Earth" rock.

The difference I can see, though, is that "Robot George"
in the proposed case is created by the Magnatune
organization, so derivatives can't be non-exclusive.

I'm not sure if Robot George can be licensed in a way
that is anywhere near as well as Magnatune works.

Hm, a bit of a quandary. And I'm stumped for solutions.
The requirements appear mutually exclusive.

Greg
--
Wikipedia and the Great Sneetches War
http://www.somerightsreserved.org