cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Nova Christopher <n23ova AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:13:03 -0700 (PDT)

Good points. I started a 'netlabel' for the same
reasons you speak of, being inspired by open-source
and free music and, well, free stuff in general. Why
spend a lot of money when I can use something else,
and it will do everything I need it to? Unfotunately,
this is often not the case with music-making software.
I suspect that's why most of them cost money...
someone has found an opportunity to capitalize on some
novel ideas.

In the case of offering a prize, I do feel the
software I choose to award will be very fitting for
the contestants. But in the case of offering free
software that was made free (open-source, or freeware
or even some shareware) it might feel less like a
'prize' since anyone else could simply download it,
and not necessarily have to provide anything in
exchange (such as a winning song). I do like the idea
of exchange or 'barter,' especially when it is not
completely dependent on dollars and cents (which is
almost impossible in our culture).

Thanks for your input!

--- Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>