cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC "non-commercial" content in a commercial website

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC "non-commercial" content in a commercial website
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:25:18 +0000

Shanan wrote:

So - I know I can do this with the "by", "by-sa", and
"by-nd" licenses. Can I do this with the "nc" licenses
or would I have to make "nc" content unavailable to
paying users of the site?

You can't offer the NC material AT ALL.*

You are a commercial entity. You make money off of
the site. Offering content, even for free is a draw to
your site, which makes money. Hence, "indirect revenue".

Hence, you CANNOT offer NC material AT ALL.

This is why NC is stupid, and should be deleted,
expunged, deprecated, and shunned. ;-)

It's totally bloody useless.

("But what does he *really* think", you must be wondering).

Cheers,
Terry

*This of course, assumes you don't have separate license
to use it, either because it's yours, or because you have
a separate arrangement with the author.