cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC "non-commercial" content in a commercial website

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC "non-commercial" content in a commercial website
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:35:03 +0200

Shanan skrev:
Apologies if this has already been asked, I did have a
big trawl through the list (and FAQ) and couldn't find
an answer.

I'm putting together a website which will offer both
free access and pay access features. I'd like to make
the same CC content (including "non-commercial")
available to all users of the site, regardless of
whether they're signed in or accessing publicly.
Users will also be able to submit new CC licensed
content. As the content isn't the main feature of the
website the same content will be available in both pay
and free modes.

So - I know I can do this with the "by", "by-sa", and
"by-nd" licenses. Can I do this with the "nc" licenses
or would I have to make "nc" content unavailable to
paying users of the site?

If you create content (i.e. you are the copyright holder of the content) you may license it under any license(s) you wish (of course). You may also distribute the content using a commercial website - even if you license the content "nc". It's the licensee of a "nc" license that cannot use the content in a commercial context - not you, the licensor.

Any user submitted content needs to be licensed under a license that allows *you* to distribute the content on a commercial website. BY-SA would (IMHO) be the best choice in this case and then only because it's a copyleft license but YMMV.

If you do allow people to submit new CC licensed content, you need to make sure that the contributors are made aware of and consents to the terms of the CC license.

/Peter Brink