cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Stefan Tiedje <Stefan-Tiedje AT addcom.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:58:57 +0100

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
I think that the non-commercial option is the biggest mistake CC ever
made, it is just to wide reaching and greyzone. Free and Open Source
software never did this differentiation and I think its was the smartest
decision ever.

I think that the multiple options including nc is the smartest part of cc. I could agree that the licenses without these restrictions would make more sense in certain (and for sure in your) areas, but its just an option, and there are a lot of works which do benefit from being licensed different than with by-sa (especially those with nd).
If it would not exist as part of cc, it would exist at other places but less profoundly backed up by lawers who understand what they do. These options made cc to what it is today. Without these options I would not know anything about cc licenses and would not listen to your arguments for keeping nc out of the license.

The problem is not that nc is bad, the problem is, that there is no foolproof concept to make the wish of the copyright holder clear. Thats why I was suggesting some "honory" rules for fair compensation, which could be attached to a by-sa license to make clear: If my work helped you to pay your bills, please do help me to pay my bills.
I think thats a fair expectation, its just the question if I want to force the user of my work legaly (then I choose nc), or if I just want to encourage her to do so.
I also hope that the latter works better, but I have no proof for it.

Stefan

--

[][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~\
\\\ /|() ()|\
\___/ ///

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt, 94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-49 77 51 72