cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:24:21 -0500

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 09:13 am, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> Quoting Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <christian AT fluendo.com>:
> > I think that the non-commercial option is the biggest mistake CC ever
> > made,
>
> NC does not solve any of the problems that CC was set up to solve (other
> than allowing people to "manage their rights", which was a task created by
> CC).
>
> NC creates a secondary "permission culture" where you must ask to use work
> commercially. Orphan works will still not be usable in this way. And if a
> work available under NC is appropriated and the case goes to court this
> will surely affect any Fair Use defense (IANAL).
>
> NC does not help create an alternative to monopolistic media
> distributors. It is
> viewed as a financial tool or an act of temporary generosity that won't
> hurt your real career or business model too much.
>
> But those of us who believe NC is bad are in the minority. NC is by far
> CC's most popular license module.

Yes, and I think it makes my job harder. However, I also think that if people
who think along the lines we seem to are indeed right (correct) that the pool
or re-usable copyleft works that grows over time will eventually show its
value and win out. We shall see.

In the meantime, let's get to creating copyleft works. And funding the
creation of the same. And promoting and encouraging the promotion of hte
same.

I wrote a novel "Tings" as a part of nanowrimo 2005 which I put up on
ourmedia
under a BY-SA license. It has three songs in it that I wrote during the
writing of the novel.

I am working out plans to hold a contest with at least a thousand dollar
prize
for the best recording of either of hte songs or for the best production of
one of the scenes from the novel. (Filmed or animated.) Or for the best comic
strip form one of the scenes.

All entries will have to be posted on ourmedia under a BY-SA license just
like
the novel.

There are more details I have to figure out.

I am thinking of giving extra points to music submitted as ardour project
files along with stereo wav or flac files. Same but a bit less for gungirl
sequencer projects with individaul wav files for the tracks. Etc.

We shall see what the results are.

Here is the link to my ourmedia page where you can find "Tings" :

http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145

plus some other BY-SA content.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22