cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Licensing option to free up content over time possible?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mario Behling" <mb AT mariobehling.de>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Licensing option to free up content over time possible?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:25:33 +0100

Hello!

I am new to the list and I am not sure, if this is the right place for this post.

I am a photographer and journalist and I was wondering if there is already a solution to the following problem.

When I publish content, I normally choose a license, that does not include commercial usage. If a commercial enterprise wants to use my work, they could pay for it. That is the idea. However, I would not mind if a commercial enterprise uses my work, let's say, after five years after the initial publishing date. This could increase interest in my work and publicity.

Ok, I could just change licenses myself, but it would be nice to be able to choose a licensing option, that frees up restrictions (automatically and gradually) after some time.

Of course I am not a lawyer. So I am not sure, if this would be possible. But, as far as I could see, this would also solve some problems concerning licence incompatibilities: If many people would choose such an option, it would automatically enhance the compatibility of free content over time.

Thank you for an answer!

Ciao from Berlin!

Mario