cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Licensing option to free up content over timepossible?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Justin Morgan <feedback AT corfizz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Licensing option to free up content over timepossible?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:57:33 +0000

I am not a lawyer either, and if you wait a little longer I think you'll get some other non-lawyers pointing to somewhere where this question has already been asked, but as far as I know, you can always change the license of a work after a certain time. If you start off with cc-by-nc-sa, for example, then after 5 years you could 'downgrade' it to, maybe, cc-by-sa. I think this is better than going in the other direction (i.e. don't release under a free license and then re-release the same work under a more restrictive one), but if you do this, there are some multi-licensing complications to consider because the work is effectively protected by both licenses at the same time.

The next closest thing to what you want is probably Founder's Copyright, where you retain the full copyright of your work and then it expires after 14 years (I think) instead of the usual death+70 years (jurisdiction-dependent as well, I think). Creative Commons can help with the Founder's thing if you take a look.

Don't take my advice without exploring it yourself and getting second and third and fourth opinions of course!