cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Universal Copyleft License [was: Mapping of license restrictions (CC - GFDL compatibility)]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Universal Copyleft License [was: Mapping of license restrictions (CC - GFDL compatibility)]
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:50:56 -0500

On Saturday 10 December 2005 10:28 am, Peter Brink wrote:
> drew Roberts skrev:
> > Also, those other works are still effectively closed to someone like me
> > who wants to deal in copyleft type works.
> >
> > So, for someone like me, what good are the works under other licenses? I
> > can only play with BY or BY-SA as far as I understand things.
> >
> > Those other works will still prime my creativity well/pump system with
> > water that is dangerous to use.
>
> Sure, but in the end it's the will and the intentions of the originator
> that matters, I she only wants to lend you some of the rights that she
> could have lent you, that is her choice and nobody has the right to
> criticise her for her choice of license.

Sure they do, everyone has the right to critise anyone for anything. Others
seeing the critisms have the right to draw their own conclusions. (If you
look around, I think you will see this is fairly common. I do know I am being
a bit of a fool here, but a bit not as well in my opinion. Which I can also
be critised for by the way.) ~;-)

> > Mind you, if I am thinking correctly, the copyleft type licenses will win
> > out in the end as they offer the best deal all round for a commons type
> > game. If that is the case, these otehr licenses will prove to be an
> > interesting side experiment along the way. We shall see.
>
> Possibly, but that is only under the assumption that the majority of
> users of CC licenses, share the same vision of a commons, which I doubt
> they do. I think most users of CC licenses sees some kind of personal,
> possibly material, advantage with using an open content license.

No, it is under the assumption that what I think is somewhere near the truth.
If BY-SA ends up working anything like the GPL, all of that content out
there, within easy reach on such generous terms may prove too big of a draw
even for those who are initially uncomfortable with the whole copyleft ideas.

Also, when someone ends up paying huge fines for misunderstanding the meaning
of NC, that particular option may become a little less popular.

Now, as an example:

As a fan, why spend your time listening to and promoting a band that releases
BY-NC-ND when you can promote a band that releases BY-SA and earn a little
money on the side for your promotional efforts? (If you like the music from
each.)

If all creators want to do is create, they can make things, copyright all
rights reserved as an unpublished work and be happy.

So, for most normal creators, it is more than just their wishes that matter.
It is also the wishes of the public that they are seeking to reach with their
creations.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/111123
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22