cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility workshop : FAL, CC by-sa

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility workshop : FAL, CC by-sa
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:14:17 +0000

Rob Myers wrote:
If an individual wants their work licensed BY-SA as well as FAL they are free to do so. If two licences are different enough not to be the same licence, then those differences are presumably important and may matter to someone who has licensed their work under the other licence.

Not necessarily. Suppose I copy the BY-SA and change the name (and every instance of the name) to "Daniel's Open License" (DOL). This license would be incompatible with the BY-SA because the BY-SA requires derivatives to be under the BY-SA and DOL would require derivatives to be DOL. So you couldn't mix the two works even though their licenses are identical save only for the name.

So it is worth investigating exactly what the difference between FAL and BY-SA is.

I don't think fitting back doors for minor licences into CC licences is a good idea at all.

In general I agree with you. I just thought that the differences between FAL and BY-SA are worth investigating.

Everybody and their aunt has a definition of "freedom". :-) The CC licenses don't fit Debian's definition of freedom for example.

Debian is different. The incompatibility actually as something to do with rights and freedoms. Every license imposes some restriction, and you claim that restriction xyz is a requisite for freedom. Fine. I was pointing out that the concers Isabel expressed had nothing to do with any restrictions imposed by BY-SA.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
the light reflecting off a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no