cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY of Wiki-Content - must I name ALL authors?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: LinuxLala <linuxlala AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY of Wiki-Content - must I name ALL authors?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:51:17 +0530

Hi Evan,

On 10/8/05, Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca> wrote:
Assuming you haven't employed the "designated attribution" option, yes, you have to include contributors' names along with the article.

Ok. That's cool. I was just curious.

Anyways, why "get away with"? Why would that be a positive thing? I'm not sure exactly what this list is about, but figuring out loopholes in the licenses so you don't have to follow the stated or implicit requests of the copyright holders seems pretty outside the scope.

I  did not intend the meaning that you think my "get away with" implies. I only wanted to ask if a link to all the authors is enough, or does the entire list need be published along with.

One more question while we are discussing wiki license -- Suppose there is a wiki licensed as CC-BY-NC. In this case, no newspaper/magazine can publish it 'coz they are not free, even though they are not making any extra money from the wiki article itself. So I am confused. What does NC have to say in this regard?
It says that they can't publish it. If you want commercial organisations to use your work -- or non-commercial organisations or individuals to use your work in ways that require the exchange of money, don't use the NonCommercial clause.

I just wanted to clarify things. I neither run a wiki nor any magazine/newspaper. It was just something that came to mind at 03:00 in the morning.

If your point is that the NonCommercial licenses are short-sighted and self-defeating, well... duh.

:)

Thanks for claring things up.

-Shashank