cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY of Wiki-Content - must I name ALL authors?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY of Wiki-Content - must I name ALL authors?
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:59:00 +0100

I am not a lawyer, I am not CC.

Erik Moeller wrote:

Actually, CC-BY only requires that the "Original Author" is attributed:

However most wikis use BY-SA.

If a wiki was BY, you'd still all be licensing the work BY, so you'd all need attribution.

It may be a judgment call in some cases who the "original author" is, but there is clearly no need to attribute multiple individuals.

As Evan's example with this "Rob Myers" person shows, it's both clear and necessary. Even if the author is just logged as an IP address I think US law covers anonymous authors. So for example here is a list of authors of an article on Wikitravel, which is SA:

http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Lausanne&action=history

- Rob.