cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use of derivatives by original author.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mark Havenner <laveaux AT poorteacher.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use of derivatives by original author.
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:22:49 -0700

If you were to allow others to use the work commercially you could
potentially increase your market. With "attribution" you and your
theoretical competitor are using the same brand and you both benefit from
that. Restricting contributors to non-commercial endeavors undermines the
point of open content.

There is no incentive for someone to contribute to your RPG if you are
simply going to snatch and republish it, taking their rights to do so
themselves. However, if you and theoretical competitors are both publishing
materials the market can grow and you can tap your materials into a market
you didn't have before. The economy of open content suggests that the more
people that use the same brand the larger the brand's market share becomes
and although you may not have received royalties from others using your
brand you can tap into that person's market whenever you like.

I would personally reconsider your outlook on this and as a RPG publisher
myself I know the open economy actually works.

Take a look at this article for more detail on the subject:

http://www.basilicus.org/wiki/index.php/Open_content#Why_Own_an_Idea.3F