cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use of derivatives by original author.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use of derivatives by original author.
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:04:27 +0100
On 25 Sep 2005, at 03:24, longdead wrote:

I am trying to figure out if any of the licenses would allow the
original author the right to both sell their work and sell the work of
any derivative no matter who makes it.

SA does, but it allows people who write derivative works to sell them*and* it allows people to sell the original work as well.

For example, if I write a story
and someone contributes to it I would want to be able to sell both the
original and the derivative, while restricting any who makes a
derivative to release only non-commercially and under the share alike
provisions.

This would be a "What's Mine Is Mine What's Yours Is Mine" license. The only circumstances I can see this working in would be something like Start Trek fan fiction where fans would be happy to be "paid in canon", that is by having their work made part of the official story universe.

It seems like the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License would
require the original author to be forced to use derivatives
non-commercially. Or am I misunderstanding something?

That is how it would work.

If you want to be able to use people's derivatives commerically you could NC-SA your work and then negotiate with people to use their work. But none of the licenses support the specific model you have in mind.

- Rob.