cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use of derivatives by original author.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use of derivatives by original author.
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:49:23 -0400

On Sat, 2005-24-09 at 21:24 -0500, longdead wrote:
 For example, if I write a story
and someone contributes to it I would want to be able to sell both the
original and the derivative, while restricting any who makes a
derivative to release only non-commercially and under the share alike
provisions.
How is that in any way fair?
It seems like the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License would
require the original author to be forced to use derivatives
non-commercially.  Or am I misunderstanding something?

You're understanding quite correctly.

I find it unlikely that you'll get much support from people when you're trying to set up this asymmetrical contribution system. However, if you're really bent on it, you can fiddle with the text of the by-nc or by-nc-sa to make it work. Just don't call it a "Creative Commons license", which it would no longer be.

~Evan