cc-licenses - Re: [gnu.org #238740] Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: licensing AT fsf.org, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [gnu.org #238740] Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 08:36:49 -0400

On Friday 06 May 2005 06:41 am, Evan Prodromou via RT wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 18:38 -0400, Dave Turner via RT wrote:
> > 1a) Does "precisely this License" mean that you can't dual-license?
> >
> > No.
>
> Huzzah. That's the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.
>
> > > Anyways, making a derivative work available under an identical license
> > > isn't a _permission_ granted by a copyleft license; it's a
> > > _requirement_ that licensees have to meet in order to exercise other
> > > permissions.
> >
> > You may not create or distribute derivative works without permission.
> > Licenses grant permissions. It's a bit odd to describe this as a
> > requirement, but I don't think it matters either way.
>
> Yeah, this is probably going a little far, but: the permission is that
> you can make derivative works. The requirement is that those derivative
> works have to be available under an identical license. Permission, with
> reservation.
>
> > > I'm going to take your response to mean either that a) the GFDL is
> > > like License X, so a GFDL/Attribution-ShareAlike dual license is more
> > > like case 3 than case 2, or b) my understanding of case 2 above is
> > > somehow flawed.
> >
> > Actually, I think this is like case 1, but as I said, I won't speak for
> > CC here.
>
> Excellent. Either way, 1 or 3, people can make dual-licensed derivative
> works of dual-licensed originals.

Yes, as long as someone in the stream does not choose to release his
derivative under only one of the licenses. If he does, any derivatives of
that work can only fall under that license.

If that is OK for what you (we) want, fine, if you (we) want to force dual
licenses on all downstream, that is another matter.