cc-licenses - Re: [gnu.org #238740] Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: licensing AT fsf.org
  • Cc: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gnu.org #238740] Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 06:30:49 -0400

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 18:38 -0400, Dave Turner via RT wrote:

> 1a) Does "precisely this License" mean that you can't dual-license?
>
> No.

Huzzah. That's the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.

> > Anyways, making a derivative work available under an identical license
> > isn't a _permission_ granted by a copyleft license; it's a
> > _requirement_ that licensees have to meet in order to exercise other
> > permissions.
>
> You may not create or distribute derivative works without permission.
> Licenses grant permissions. It's a bit odd to describe this as a
> requirement, but I don't think it matters either way.

Yeah, this is probably going a little far, but: the permission is that
you can make derivative works. The requirement is that those derivative
works have to be available under an identical license. Permission, with
reservation.

> > I'm going to take your response to mean either that a) the GFDL is
> > like License X, so a GFDL/Attribution-ShareAlike dual license is more
> > like case 3 than case 2, or b) my understanding of case 2 above is
> > somehow flawed.
>
> Actually, I think this is like case 1, but as I said, I won't speak for
> CC here.

Excellent. Either way, 1 or 3, people can make dual-licensed derivative
works of dual-licensed originals.

> I'm still not convinced of the possibility of licenses like U for the
> reasons I specify in my other message (how would you enforce one?).

Yeah, I dunno. I guess I'm just glad to know that the FSF's
interpretation of the FDL isn't so exclusive.

Thanks again,

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>