cc-licenses - Re: [gnu.org #238740] Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gnu.org #238740] Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works
  • Date: 6 May 2005 07:06:00 +0900

drew Roberts wrote:

>And if that won't work, the original author just neads to actually release
>it
>twice with the different licenses. Which I will do now (in abbreviated form)
>by way of example with a short poem I wrote back in high school.
>
>-----
>The following poem is release under the CC BY-SA license:

<--snip-->

>-----
>The following poem is release under the GFDL license:

<--snip-->

>See what I mean?

(Please be reminded that I'm not a lawyer)

This example is interesting. I think I am granted to reproduce those two
separate works of
the same substance ("verbatim copying in quantity" in GFDL's sense). Do I
have the right to
combine the resulting two copies into one? None in either license seem to
allow me to do that.

If the original two poems were dual-licensed, would it be any different? I am
not sure,
but perhaps not.

Since I do not have enough expertise to answer this question with certainty,
I tend to think that a safer approach to dual-licensing is to release a work
under
a meta-license, or to request CC & FSF to insert a dual-licensing clause in
their license
texts. I sketched those ideas here:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2004-December/001456.html
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2004-December/001457.html