cc-licenses - Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 23:05:18 -0400 (EDT)

Brian Schack said:
> On Mar 28, 2005, at 1:47 PM, Greg London wrote:
>> maybe someday, people will be able to waive attribution or
>> prohibit attribution completely. Attribuiton is a market economy
>> element. Gift economy licenses ought to have a way to waive it
>> or even prevent it completely.
> According to Homesteading the Noosphere by Eric Raymond, a very
> important essay on open source gift culture,
> "Removing a person's name from a project history, credits, or
> maintainer list is absolutely not done without the person's explicit
> consent."

I never said "remove" someone's attribution.

I'm saying there ought to be a license so that
authors who do not want attribution for their work
can waive it. (AttributionWaived) The CC licenses
are not clear on how to waive attribution,
even though every CC license has attribution
built in. (is anyone surprised that the pie-chart
of licenses has "attribution" taking up most of
the pie?)

And that if an author wants to prevent downstream
authors from adding attribution as a requirement
then that could be an option as well.
(AttributionProhibited) This currently is not a
license option under CC.

No one is suggesting taking someone else's work
that was licensed as to require attribution and
stripping their name off their work.