cc-licenses - Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:24:13 -0500

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 14:05 -0500, Greg London wrote:
The alternative is that a bigwiki project can take an
attribution-sharealike work by "Alice", roll it into
the BigWiki, change attribution to BigWiki, and remove
Alice's attribution.  Which then becomes an incentive
for everyone to use the Wiki license so they can drop
everyone else's attribution information.
No. Never mind that. bad idea.
I don't think it's possible -- the section on attribution in Wiki 0.5 seems to require consent of the licensor.

Anyways, yeah, I don't think it's that big a deal. I think the biggest problem is that we've got two things called "Attribution", and they're interchangeable. I just want to make sure that CC is doing this with both eyes opened. The fact that absolutely nothing else in the license was changed makes me think that nobody went over Wiki 0.5 very carefully at all -- like, say, reading it all the way through -- before launching it.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou
evan AT bad.dynu.ca