cc-licenses - Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:07:29 -0500 (EST)

Evan Prodromou said:
> I think the biggest
> problem is that we've got two things called "Attribution", and they're
> interchangeable. I just want to make sure that CC is doing this with
> both eyes opened. The fact that absolutely nothing else in the license
> was changed makes me think that nobody went over Wiki 0.5 very carefully
> at all -- like, say, reading it all the way through -- before launching
> it.

It's "rebranding" (to borrow the word from CC-EDU).
;)

It behaves exactly like CC-BY-SA because it is CC-BY-SA.
The only wrinkle is that it contains the language needed
for contributers to reassign attribution to the project
rather than have it be individual. Rather than say
this wiki by Alice, Bob, Charlie, ..., the project could
say "this project by BigWiki". Then "BigWiki" becomes
a name like Alice, Bob, and Charlie, and can mix with
other CC-BY-SA projects.

It doesn't turn off attribution, but it turns it way down,
which is probably the best a license could do and still
be compatible with other Attribution licenses. Since that
pie-chart seems to show that 99.999% of all works use
attribution in one way or another, CC-Wiki offers a solution
without breaking the existing works.

It seems like the best GiftEconomy license that CC has right now.