cc-licenses - Re: Can't find the right license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Matt Scheuerman <mordecaidesign AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Can't find the right license
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:57:05 -0700

another developer and I looked at the Creative Commons Attribution
license, and it looked great, but the most important thing about
distributing these graphics and giving them to the world is that they
should not require credit.

Scenario:

Dave, a graphic designer, stumbles onto the website of a print firm
located at foobarprinting.com, seeing some of the amazing "graphics"
he wonders to himself, "where can I get some of that to use on my
website? The license must be strict and the "graphics" must be
expensive. He doesn't see a link to any other designers so he assumes
<b> that either foobar created the graphics themselves or the paid an
awesome designer to create the graphics for them. Regardless, the
graphics are very professional and make the companie's website look
better.</b> He calls up the web admin for foobar printing company and
asks him. Jim (the web admin for foobar) replies, "Oh! Those are
actually free....you can get them at http://www.someurl.com, they
where released under a form of the CC license."

Dave rushes out to get the graphics to use on his own website. Upon
seeing the license he is pleased because he doesn't have to link up to
someone else just because he used their designs. Thinking about it
more, Dave concludes that it's better that the company didn't link up
to http://www.someurl.com, because it really did make them look more
professional.

Are you pickin up what I'm puttin down?

Matt

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:40:27 -0400, Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-27-10 at 12:36 -0700, Matt Scheuerman wrote:
>

> I am currently developing some graphics that I want to release under
certain
> conditions:

* users can employ the graphics for any medium and can use
> the
graphics for commercial and non-commercial work.

*Credit to the
> original author in any form is not mandatory but is
highly
> appreciated.

*The files may be changed/updated/manipulated/redistributed as
> long as
they are accompanied by a text file giving original credit to
> the
author.

So is there a license I can use already written or should I
> manipulate
and write my own?
What you're describing sounds equivalent in
> spirit to the Creative Commons Attribution license. It makes credit
> mandatory, not optional (per your second item), and it doesn't specify a
> format for attribution (your third point), but otherwise it sounds about
> right. You should look at the license and the license terms and see if
> they're roughly acceptable to you.
>
> ~ESP
>

> --
Evan Prodromou .O.