cc-licenses - Re: Future plans (Proprietary Forks)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Future plans (Proprietary Forks)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:48:04 -0400

To me, the ultimate example of a 'proprietary fork' in the world of public
domain content is Hollywood. This is why the pd is so important. Disney can
take the "Three Musketeers" and turn it into a "Three Mouseketeers" or
whatever. That's their right. I have the same right to create three entirely
new characters to plug into these slots and publish a book under a fully
protected copyright. Another prime example of 'proprietary forks' is this
summer's film Van Helsing. Again, toying with concepts, mixing (mashing) and
altering certain ideas, and developing a fully copyrighted work. Thats what
the commons is their for, and why it not only needs to be protected from the
U.S. Congress but also re-populated with new works. Forget older works
'falling' into the pd for now, Congress has taken away material for the next
decade or so. We need to recognize those who create new public domain content
(no rights reserved). Obviously, there aren't many, but things are going to
change, and organizations like Creative Commons will be helping along the way.

Again, this is why I think it would be great to see CC feature more info
about pd issues and content.

MLF

>Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:17:39 -0400
>From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
>Subject: Re: Future plans
>To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts
>    <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
>I am not so sure about this in all areas - look at what caused "This Song" to
>be made. This can be especially dangerous where hugh amounts of copyrights
>are concentrated in the hands of a few entities.
>
>On Thursday 21 October 2004 04:52 pm, Greg London wrote:
>> Our difference in opinion hinges at the point where the
>> METAPHOR for a commons pasture or commons ocean FAILS
>> to follow a "commons" of intellectual works.
>>
>> A physical commons (pasture, ocean, etc) is a zero sum game.
>> Every barbwire fence and every drift net must take something
>> from teh community to give something to the proprietary individual.
>>
>> This is simply not the case with copyright works.
>>
>> A public domain piece of software can have an infinite number
>> of proprietary forks created, and none of those forks prevents
>> a public-domain-friendly group of individuals from adding
>> that same functionality to the public domain software and
>> re-dedicating it to the public domain.
>>
>> It IS the case with Patentable works. If you take some Public
>> Domain software and add some patented LZW compression function
>> to it, then no one can add that same functionality and make
>> it public domain.
>>
>> PATENTS treat functionality as a zero-sum-game.
>> COPYRIGHT does not.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> A copyright fork does not exploit, or set out the drift nets,
>> or whatever ugly metaphor you wish to use.
>>
>> It is true that a copyright fork does not return anything
>> to the public domain. But neither does it take anything away
>> from it either.
>>
>> A copyright fork does not TAKE ANYTHING AWAY from the public.
>> It creates something new that isn't public domain.
>>
>> There is a huge difference between the two, and it is
>> the source of the fundamental difference in our opinions.
>>
>> --
>>
>> If someone has an "atomic" project, like a bunch of photographs
>> of a city, and they want to make them Public Domain, why not?
>>
>> If wikitravel comes along and puts them into their project,
>> the project should be Copyleft/ShareAlike.
>>
>> But how is wikitravel harmed if AAA uses the picture
>> in their own travel brochure?
>>
>> You seem to want to monopolize any and all gift-economies
>> so that only other gift-economies can use them.
>>
>> I used a public domain of teh moon off of a NASA website
>> for the cover of my sci-fi book. The book is "All Rights Reserved".
>> Did anyone "lose" something because I didn't "give something back"?
>>
>> The original photos fo the moon are still public domain.
>>
>> My point being that proprietary copyright forks are not
>> a zero-sum-game. My proprietary fork of the public-domain
>> image of the moon did not take anything away from anyone.
>>
>> It added something that is proprietary, but it did not
> [...]

  • Re: Future plans (Proprietary Forks), Sigmascape1, 10/22/2004