cc-licenses - Re: Share Alike and commercial use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Share Alike and commercial use
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:03:28 -0400

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 13:20 +0100, Rob Myers wrote:

> A polymorphic license might be good; the work would be free for
> noncommerical use,
> or X dollars if you use it commercially. I suppose people might want to
> negotiate the price depending on the use context, though.

Bzzzt! Wrong answer. B-) He specifically was looking for a license where he
wouldn't
have to do this.

Morten: any *-NonCommercial-* license is going to mean that you have to
discuss
legal stuff everytime someone wants to use one or more of the pictures.
Attribution-ShareAlike (by-sa) is the one you want.

To answer your question about ShareAlike and commercial use: there should be
no problem with it. Some people argue that ShareAlike is not friendly to
commercial use. Commercial users can't make quite as much money off of
ShareAlike stuff as people who have exclusive control of a work.

But if a commercial user isn't trying to make a fortune off the pictures
they got for free from you, there's nothing inherent in ShareAlike to make
it not work for businesses.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>