cc-licenses - Re: Share Alike and commercial use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Share Alike and commercial use
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:20:44 +0100

On Thursday, September 30, 2004, at 01:10PM, Greg London
<email AT greglondon.com> wrote:

>cc-nc would prevent a journalist from using the picture
>since the newspaper or magazine would be sold for money.

The original owner of the picture can always re-license the work for
commercial use (just not exclusively).

A polymorphic license might be good; the work would be free for noncommerical
use, or X dollars if you use it commercially. I suppose people might want to
negotiate the price depending on the use context, though.

- Rob.