cc-licenses - Share Alike and commercial use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Morten Wulff" <wulff AT psyke.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Share Alike and commercial use
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:08:38 +0200

On my website I have a collection of pictures that are sometimes used by journalists to accompany newspaper/magazine articles or TV news segments.

To avoid having to discuss legal stuff everytime someone wants to use one or more of the pictures, I'm thinking of making them available under the cc-by-sa license.

Now the question is: Will the Share Alike clause conflict with the commercial use of the pictures? I.e. can a journalist download and use any by-sa-licensed pictures in a story or report without any problems?

Ideally I would have liked to use the by-nc-sa license, but as far as I can tell from reading the list archives that would prevent journalist from using the pictures.

Thanks in advance,

Morten Wulff

--
"I have a school book with my name on it."
"Your parents must be so proud." (http://www.actsofgord.com/)