cc-licenses - Re: Why do you have to chose the "Attribution" option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james.grimmelmann AT yale.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why do you have to chose the "Attribution" option with the new CC 2.0 Licenses?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:34:51 -0700

At 10:35 AM 8/16/2004, toddd AT mypse.goracer.de wrote:
> You can give permission to waive along with the copyright/licensing block as
> suggested in one of the postings.

1st: I only found out about this option when I read throug the maling list
archive. Do you want everybody who wants a license without attribution to read
through the mailing list archive.

No. I've been revising the CC FAQ to explain this option; those revisions are being proofread and will be online Real Soon Now.

2nd: I don't want a license I have to make manual changes to to make it work.

These are not changes to the license. If they were changes, then it would be a different license, and one that couldn't be called "Creative Commons." This is just one way to exercise the rights that the license reserves for the author. Another way is to supply your name and not give any choice. Yet another is to supply no name at all. These are all fine, and they don't involve any change to the license.

I am not a lawyer; I do not speak for Creative Commons.

James