cc-licenses - Re: Attribution Issue

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Attribution Issue
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:04:57 -0400

SS> One of your reasons

Me> 1) The personalization of art is bourgeois and decadent. [...]

SS> is perhaps an iconoclastic version of my reason, but if you
SS> are interested only in seeing your ideas gain influence, at
SS> the sacrifice of your own personal credit, there is great
SS> value in eliminating the attribution requirement.

I actually think that's more in line with reason 0 (you want to let
others pass off your work as their own), which is probably neither
here nor there.

I was more referring to art movements that radically de-emphasize the
role of the artist through no-attribution or mis-attribution; Fluxus
comes to mind. Gertrude Stein's "Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas" may
be another example.

SS> That way other people can include your work (whole, in part, or
SS> modified) as the part of their own which they in turn can
SS> claim credit for and make their money. While this may seem
SS> like exploitation, if you're goal is simply to get people to
SS> think and act more in line with your mission, this is a useful
SS> strategy.

Yes, I agree. That's a good use for an unattributed work.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://wikitravel.org/en/