cc-licenses - Re: Question about ShareALike 1.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: dbharris AT eelf.ddts.net
  • Subject: Re: Question about ShareALike 1.0
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:59:31 -0800

David B Harris wrote:
Hey guys :) Please CC: me, I'm not subscribed to this list.

I'm working on a book with Wiley, and I'm trying to get them to include
an Appendix which will be licensed under the Creative Commons ShareALike
license.

However, before I put much effort into it, I decided to go ahead and
read the license text itself, and I have a question.

Paragraph 1a clearly defines that a collective work is treated
differently from a derivative work, and defines what constitutes a
"collective work." I'm worried, however, that the book I'm working on
wouldn't constitute a collective work.

I don't think it really matters. You can offer the appendix to the world under a SA license, and still allow Wiley to publish it under whatever private arrangement you have for the rest of the book.

If you were trying to include someone else's SA content in the book then you'd probably have the issue you're contemplating.

IANAL, etc.

--
Mike Linksvayer