cc-licenses - Re: Question about ShareALike 1.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: David B Harris <dbharris AT eelf.ddts.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question about ShareALike 1.0
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:05:28 -0500

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:59:31 -0800
Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> > Paragraph 1a clearly defines that a collective work is treated
> > differently from a derivative work, and defines what constitutes a
> > "collective work." I'm worried, however, that the book I'm working on
> > wouldn't constitute a collective work.
>
> I don't think it really matters. You can offer the appendix to the
> world under a SA license, and still allow Wiley to publish it under
> whatever private arrangement you have for the rest of the book.
>
> If you were trying to include someone else's SA content in the book then
> you'd probably have the issue you're contemplating.

Can you guys ask a lawyer, and if it's true, get it fixed for the next
version? You're right that I can offer the appendix to the world under
the SA if I hold the copyright, but that's only a last resort - I'd
rather they hold it. Obviously there's no chance a new version will be
released in time for me to use it, but it's probably something worth
doing anyways.

I'd imagine just rewording it to "along with one or a number of other
contributions" would loosen it up enough.

(I really don't think the intent of the license is to limit a
"collective work" to three or more works, as opposed to two or more
works - which is where that suggestion comes from. If I'm wrong, though,
feel free to tell me :)

After a while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.

OpenPGP v4 key ID: 4096R/59DDCB9F
Fingerprint: CC53 F124 35C0 7BC2 58FE 7A3C 157D DFD9 59DD CB9F
Retreive from subkeys.pgp.net or risk key corruption