cc-licenses - Re: digital copy of a physical work and the selling ofthat physicalwork

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: digital copy of a physical work and the selling ofthat physicalwork
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:06:10 -0500 (EST)

Even the work-for-hire part can be worked around, if you
are careful up front. This is where a lawyer would have
to work with you to draft a Contract that you would have
anyone sign that wanted to commision you to do a painting.
The contract would state in some legalese that you retain
copyright on the expression and the person who hired you
"disclaims" any and all copyrights on the work.

I know Open Source people use this approach when hired
to do work on their software for someone.