cc-licenses - In Favor of CC-FA

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: In Favor of CC-FA
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 20:01:10 +0100

In an ideal world, all software would be GPL and all content would be CC-SA . But "weaker" licenses can be a useful stepping stone as well as addressing other contemporary social concerns.

To support this argument (that soft licenses encourage people to try hard licenses :-) ), I'd cite this page: http://craphound.com/down/

"I chose the most restrictive CC license available to me, staying cautious, and I waited to see if the sky would fall.
It didn't.
So here we are, just a little over a year later
I am re-licensing Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, effective today, under the terms of one of the least restrictive Creative Commons licenses, the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license..."

If it was a choice of all or nothing rather than trying a little, finding it works and then going all the way, would this work now be in the commons?

- Rob.