cc-licenses - Re: Warranty Issue Revisited

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Warranty Issue Revisited
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:35:01 +0000
On 23 Feb 2004, at 16:56, email AT greglondon.com wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:30:55 -0500, Sal Randolph wrote:
By licensing the work in the first place, artists are stating that it
is theirs to copyright and license. I really feel that is sufficient.

I agree. Copyright grants exclusive rights to the Author,
and a License is a grant by the Author to give some,
none, or all of those rights back to some, none, or
all of the public.

A Copyright Notice (Copyright 2004 Greg London)
followed by a License, (All Rights Reserved)

is a claim that the work is mine and that I have the
right to license it as I see fit.

I asked about this on the OGL list. An "authority to contribute" clause has two advantages:

1. Idiots won't believe a CC license has magic powers to allow them to pirate copyrighted material.
2. Mis-representing your right to contribute becomes a breach of license, so could make some problem cases simpler in theory.

- Rob.