cc-licenses - Re: Warranty Issue Revisited

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: email AT greglondon.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Warranty Issue Revisited
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:17:47 -0800 (PST)

I'm going to back up here, because either we're
arguing about two different things, or I simply
don't understand what a declaration of authority
to contribute accomplishes.

I get that it could make some idiots NOT
contribute someone else's work.
Whether its the best place for it or not
is a secondary argument.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:31:17 +0000, Rob Myers wrote:
> (I agree with Evan's point about discriminating against
> people who represent that they own the work).

I do not see how discrimination enters into it.

> I am trying to make sure that enough of the right legalese
> goes in to make the contract reasonably watertight.

watertight against what? lawsuit from Sony Music?

> a personal declaration of authority to contribute would,
> I believe, strike the correct balance.

balance between what? cleartext and legaleze?
or Distribution Dave and Sony Music?

could someone give me a simple example of how
a declaration of authority to contribute
changes the legal landscape for people
who contribute, distribute, or modify free works?

I am trying to understand what is being claimed here.

I'm not subscribed to the OGL list, so I don't know
what discussions have gone on there.

Thanks