cc-licenses - Re: No warranty!

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: No warranty!
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:18:50 -0500

RM> See the OGL for how this should work. You should represent
RM> that your own work is your own work and pass responsibility
RM> for others' content back up to them, not take on or pass down
RM> that risk.

Which is exactly what the current warranty in the 1.0 licenses does,
AFAICT. The original author takes responsibility for their own work,
and derivers/distributors take responsibility for _their_ own
actions. It's a very simple and fair system.

For reference, here's the applicable (I think) OGL clause:

"5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are
contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent
that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have
sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License."

That seems practically tautological, and not far off from the warranty
in the 1.0 CC licenses, except that it doesn't explicitly call out
copyright, trademark, privacy rights, and defamation, though.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/