cc-licenses - Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial & software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Dudley Carr <dudley AT cs.stanford.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial & software
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:02:47 -0500

My company would like to use the Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial CC license for a software application we've written. According to the CC FAQ regarding software, the CC licenses deliberately doesn't make mention of software in terms of source code or binary form. It also recommends a set of open sources licenses as possible alternatives.

In my case, the software will be proprietary, and thus none of the open source licenses suit our needs. However, we'd like to have the clients of our software, which will be distributed in binary form, be able to exercise their fair use rights.

The point that I would appreciate clarification on, is why using the CC license would not be in our "best interest."

Regards,
Dudley Carr