cc-licenses - Re: OpenContent licenses for wikis

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Brad Collins <brad AT studiojungle.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: OpenContent licenses for wikis
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:22:14 +0700

Bayle Shanks <bshanks AT ucsd.edu> writes:

> Ideally, we want our
> content to be available to other sites, whether CC or GFDL, and we
> want to import content from either CC or GFDL.

If you don't mind people using your content and the odd jerk won't
give you credit for it, then just place it completely in the public
domain and use a mechanism like Music Brainz, or go with a Project
Guttenberg type licence which is PD with the restriction that if you
distribute as a a PG file you have to keep the legal stuff and point
to where it came from, if not, remove all PG stuff and do what you
want with it.

This doesn't carry any of the burdens that GFDL has which is that it
requires people to place what they contribute into the public domain.

If not -- I'd tend to say follow Wikipedia or go with the route that
Debian docs have done and use the GPL and state that your software is
the texts on the Wiki....

b/

--
Brad Collins