cc-licenses - Including trademarks and logos in Commons-licensed publications

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Michael A. Olson" <mao AT sleepycat.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Including trademarks and logos in Commons-licensed publications
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:42:00 -0700

Hello,

My name is Mike Olson. I'm the CEO at Sleepycat Software, makers of
Berkeley DB. We're considering using the Attribution/Share Alike
license for several new publications we're doing -- these are "getting
started" guides for our new Berkeley DB XML product, which is
distributed under the Sleepycat public license, an OSI-approved
open source license.

We've considered the FSF's Free Documentation License, but because of
its length, and because we're interested in worldwide distribution of the
content we're producting, we are interested in the Creative Commons
license instead.

My issue: We want to include our company logo in the material that
we produce, but we don't want the logo extracted from the documents and
used by third parties separately from the publications. We also don't
want the logo used to advertise or promote derivative versions of the
documentation.

Is it permissible to use the Creative Commons A/SA license for a document,
and to include additional notice saying that our logo is a trademark of
the company, and all rights to the logo are reserved? Will that preserve
our rights to the logo while still allowing attribution and share alike
behavior by downstream content producers?

Thanks,
mike