cc-hk - [Cc-hk] Launch nature, timing, Lessig presence, etc.

  • From: Rebecca MacKinnon <rebecca.mackinnon AT gmail.com>
  • To: henryoh AT gmail.com
  • Cc: cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org, Peter Yu <peter_yu AT msn.com>
  • Subject: [Cc-hk] Launch nature, timing, Lessig presence, etc.
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 21:31:19 +0800

Thanks very much Henry for the tremendous enthusiasm. It's really great.

A few things to point out, clarify, and seek further reaction from everybody on the list. Sorry for the long e-mail. The stuff I'd like responses to are marked with "PLEASE RESPOND:".  If anybody on this list feels more comfortable responding in Chinese instead of English that's fine. Please feel free to start Chinese-language discussion threads. A large number of the people on this list are bilingual and we can help summarize the discussion to those who aren't. But I want to make sure that the CC-HK community is not exclusively dominated by people who feel comfortable writing quickly and eloquently in English, with a result that we may lose some other points of view. :)

1. CC-HK launch:   Actually most CC country launches are not conferences, but celebrations of various kinds - often involving artistic performances, exhibitions, etc. etc., featuring artists and creators who use CC in various ways. The CC Taiwan launch was basically a big concert and party.  Other possibilities might be some kind of on-site mashup fest, and maybe some kind of public educational event about how to use CC, in addition to a cultural event/performance/exhibit/etc. Certainly we would want to have some kind of launch ceremony with a speech ideally from Larry and maybe a couple other people (like Joi if he can come, etc.), but I would advise against organizing the launch as a full-fledged conference - unless everybody on this list disagrees with me in which case obviously we should do what the general community thinks is most appropriate.

However - and this is where I think the confusion arises - in order to pool resources and get maximum attention and maximum participation, we had the idea to do the launch in mid-June at the same time as the 6th annual Chinese Internet Research Conference (CIRC), an academic conference held every year for the past 6 years which is being organized separately and independently from CC-HK, which my center at HKU happens to be hosting on June 13-14. (Friday and Saturday).

So. The idea was that the CC-HK launch could take place before, during, or after the CIRC - but would not be *part* of the CIRC. Because only a small part of the CC-HK community are academics and frankly these academic conferences are pretty hard to sit through for anybody who isn't an academic - and certainly not of interest to the media. On the other hand, a number of CIRC academic participants are also involved with CC. So doing the two at the same time maximizes the chances that the academics we'd like to invite can be there. At any rate I don't think we have the capacity to organize the launch before June (it's already tight) - and if we push it beyond June we really won't be able to get it together until the Fall, which I think is sub-optimal from the community's point of view.

PLEASE RESPOND: If any of you think it's a * bad * idea to hold the launch right before or after the Chinese Internet Research Conference, please say so now! :)

2. Exact date of launch-  ** EVERYBODY PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK **
I am in contact with Lessig's assistant about his availability. I asked her about his availability during that week of June 13-14 and she asked which specific date and many more questions about the format of the launch - which we don't yet have answers to. Obviously it will take us a while to sort out exactly what will happen at the launch.  However I would like to get an idea * now * from all of you about which day of the week we think would be ideal - in theory, based on what we know now, assuming people want to hold the launch around the CIRC.

 Since many core members of the community have jobs they can't easily get out of, we should hold the launch on an evening or weekend. A couple people I've talked to off-list have indicated Saturday or Sunday would be ideal for community participation. We could probably make either of these times - either late afternoon or evening - work with the CIRC.

PLEASE RESPOND: What do people think about a launch on the late afternoon or evening of Saturday June 14th or Sunday June 15th? What are  your concerns? Alternative suggestions?

(There is of course the concern that the times most convenient for the community are least convenient for journalists. However there are ways around this if we get the right journalists involved early, and especially if the focus is heavily cultural. Generally the worst time to get media attention for something is if you do it late on a Friday anyway, and Thursday evening would also be pushing it for deadlines unless we held it too early for many people to get off work.)

3. Fund-raising.
Thanks Henry for your great suggestions and enthusiasm. I'm not actually too worried about fundraising for the launch itself. I'm more concerned about fundraising for CC-HK's ongoing operations and longer-term promotional projects. But that's a separate conversation for another e-mail thread.

As it happens, the CEO of a local internet company who cares a lot about CC has indicated interest in sponsoring the event. (I'm not naming the company here because it was a verbal agreement based on no budget numbers or specific plan so it's not considerate for me to announce it officially yet.) Also I think there's a decent chance that if we were to approach Cyberport, they might be willing to provide us with venue and sponsorship. But we can't approach them till we have a specific proposed plan and budget...

It's always great to get diversity of sponsors in addition to a couple "main" sponsors for the launch. However my experience with nonprofit fundraising is that it's very counterproductive to go hat-in-hand to people who aren't virtual "insiders" in your project before you have a very specific budget and plan for how their money will be spent. So first order of business is: a) to figure out what we want to do for the launch; and b) put together a budget. Then we can talk very specifically to funders and work out who would be most appropriate to approach.

PLEASE RESPOND: please let me know if you disagree with what I just said.

4. Draft license feedback.
It would be really great if people could first channel their organizational enthusiasm to getting IP law experts and stakeholders around Hong Kong to respond to our draft licenses. This is really a priority if we want the launch to go well. It would be really bad if somebody prominent publicly trashes our licenses around the time of our launch because they weren't aware of them earlier.

Thanks everybody!! This is all really exciting!

Rebecca