cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] CC licence

  • From: Henry Oh <henryoh AT gmail.com>
  • To: Rebecca MacKinnon <rebecca.mackinnon AT gmail.com>, Li Yahong <yali AT hku.hk>, <cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <alicelee AT hku.hk>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] CC licence
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:44:40 +0800

Dear Professor Li,

Congratulations! That's fantastic news.

I figure this is a good time to introduce myself to the cc-hk listserv.

Rebecca MacKinnon suggested that I join this group. I met her while
interviewing her for a book that I am writing.

We had a "2nd degree" connection and that's how we met.

Briefly, I went to Stanford Law School (graduated in 2005) and while there,
I did some work with Professor Lessig (a seminar class "Architecture of
Identity", an independent research project for a semester on municipal
wireless (Spring 2005) and I was a member of his Eldred research team (Fall
2001), I was a legal intern at EFF during the summer of 2002 and an intern
at the Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT), primarily working under
Alan Davidson (now Google's counsel) in the Fall of 1997. I did an M.Sc. in
Media and Communications Regulation and Technology at LSE (graduated in
2004). My dissertation was: ³Private Viewing in Public Spaces: The
Challenges of Regulating Pornography on Third-Generation (3G) Mobile
Networks.² I've been studying Internet regulation and the various related
issues (surveillance, privacy, free speech, IP, etc.) since around 1993
while I was an undergrad in university.

I also do some film and music production work (mostly in Brazil) and through
one of my friends (the person I do film work with) I met Sergio Amadeu, then
Brazil's "Minister of Technology" (He was President of the National
Institute of Information Technology, (Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia da
Informação)). He introduced me to Ronaldo Lemos, a professor at the
Fundacao Getulio Vargas (FGV) Law School in Rio de Janeiro and director of
FGV's Center for Technology & Society (CTS). He was the Project Lead for
Creative Commons in Brazil. We keep in touch.

I moved to HK in October 2006 from NY after working for Cleary Gottlieb,
almost exclusively working on Brazilian capital markets transactions. I am
now involved in a series of projects. A Brazilian film, a book, and a
nascent Internet startup.

I offered Rebecca to give whatever free time I can to help CC HK.

I will be at the informal gathering at the Renaissance Kowloon Hotel tonight
and look forward to meeting those on the list who are able to attend.

Best,
Henry