cc-education - [cc-education] A Timeline

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <dw2 AT opencontent.org>
  • To: cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: llynch AT stanford.edu
  • Subject: [cc-education] A Timeline
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:26:13 -0700

Everyone,

Creative Commons is interested in getting to a draft of the Education License, as we all are. But they are interested in getting there by February 13th. I think this is completely reasonable and doable, and here's how I propose we get there.

We've had difficulty reaching consensus on what educational use *is.* Since we all seem to approve of the Creative Commons licenses, let's take a page out of their book. The By-NC-SA license states three types of things - what users must do (attribute), what they may do (make derivative works), and what they must not do (commercial uses). Over the next week, let's make a list of specific uses we feel should be mandatory, allowed but optional, and not allowed at all. A post formatted like:

"To me, educational use means that

Users must:
- either
- use materials to support their study in a formal school, or
- use materials for self-study which is not related to their job, or
- etc.
- attribute the source of the materials

Users may:
- make derivative works
- redistribute the materials

Users must not:
- resell the materials
- use the materials in support of a course offered by a for-profit institution
- use the materials to directly support the accomplishment of their paid job"

Don't flame my examples - they're not what I believe, they're just to show formatting. If we can have this conversation for the next week or 10 days, wrapping up by Feb. 10, that will give the lawyers and I time to create language expressing your feelings in a draft license.

Here's to an exciting week or so of defining what is and is not educational use,

David

  • [cc-education] A Timeline, David Wiley, 01/30/2004