cc-education - [cc-education] Re: A Timeline

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Sanford Forte" <siforte AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-education] Re: A Timeline
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:22:20 -0800

> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. A Timeline (David Wiley)
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:26:13 -0700
> From: David Wiley
>
> Everyone,
>
> Creative Commons is interested in getting to a draft of the Education
> License, as we all are. But they are interested in getting there by
> February 13th. I think this is completely reasonable and doable, and
> here's how I propose we get there.
>
> We've had difficulty reaching consensus on what educational use *is.*
> Since we all seem to approve of the Creative Commons licenses, let's
> take a page out of their book. The By-NC-SA license states three types
> of things - what users must do (attribute), what they may do (make
> derivative works), and what they must not do (commercial uses). Over the
> next week, let's make a list of specific uses we feel should be
> mandatory, allowed but optional, and not allowed at all. A post
> formatted like:
>
> "To me, educational use means that
>
> Users must:
> - either
> - use materials to support their study in a formal school, or
> - use materials for self-study which is not related to their job, or
> - etc.
> - attribute the source of the materials
>
> Users may:
> - make derivative works
> - redistribute the materials
>
> Users must not:
> - resell the materials
> - use the materials in support of a course offered by a for-profit
> institution
> - use the materials to directly support the accomplishment of their
> paid job"
>

> Don't flame my examples - they're not what I believe, they're just to
> show formatting. If we can have this conversation for the next week or
> 10 days, wrapping up by Feb. 10, that will give the lawyers and I time
> to create language expressing your feelings in a draft license.
>
> Here's to an exciting week or so of defining what is and is not
> educational use,
>
> David
> ------------------------------

All,

Users must:
- attribute the source of their materials

Users may:
- make derivative works
- modify the works, with requirements to clearly note all such
modifications, and with a further requirement that all such modifications
enter the public domain
- redistribute the materials
- resell the materials
- use, or deploy, the materials in all environments where 'education' - in
any of its myriad forms - takes place
- publish the materials (whether for profit, or simple cost-recovery)
- coordinate the publishing of materials

Users may not:
- modify the works, without noting they have done so (to prevent
mis-attribution)
- in formal education settings, defined as the worldwide equivilents of 1)
K-12 (including public, private, home, religious schools, etc); 2)
College/University; and 3) Trade school settings (all, in all their
multivariate forms) publish By-NC-SA materials as part of any work that is,
in itself, kept from further open distribution (e.g., the user may not
combine a work that uses content both 1)protected by a By-NC-SA education
license; and 2) protected under 'normal' copyright, thereby preventing
further 'open' distribution of said materials to the general educational
environments by claiming 'rights' under 'normal' copyright)

Best,
Sanford