cc-education - [cc-education] Stepping Stone.

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Palmer <davidpalmer AT westnet.com.au>
  • To: cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-education] Stepping Stone.
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:56:10 -0000

I thought I would drop a line to expand a little on something I touched
on the other day, and that Zac has placed a little more in perspective.

Geeks are probably more familiar through the experience factor with the
benefits that are to be gained from the open source 'commons' than the
average educator.
To ask somebody to take their professional product with all that that
entails (even factors like personal identity) and ask them to just hand
it over to the broader community, is probably too much of a leap to ask
these people to take.

With Creative Commons the opportunity is given them to retain ownership
of the 'fruits of their labour' (in case people are alienated by
terminologies like 'product'), albeit for a reduced copywrite period,
while creating the opportunity for a far more interactive and fulfilling
professional environment.

I think that a first major sales factor here lies in the relationship
between the rapid obsolescence of educational, informational material,
and the shorter copywrite term.
I think the second and conclusive sales factor will lie in the personal
experience of the aforementioned transformed educational environment.

Perhaps in time we will be able to hope for a totally open,
paradigm-free educational, or even social environment. But the stepping
stone factor must be employed, because alienating your market is not
conducive to sales.
This is what I meant in reference to a psychological factor I referred
to in a previous post.
Regards,

David.

  • [cc-education] Stepping Stone., David Palmer, 10/28/2003