cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Making it easier for educators

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Zachary Chandler <zechandl AT colby.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Making it easier for educators
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:59:27 -0500

Quoting David Wiley <dw2 AT opencontent.org>:

> 1. Are members of this list interested in seeing more educational content
> released under cc licenses?

ZC: Yes.

> 2. Do members of this list think that in order to get more educational
> content licensed by a cc license we need more educators to understand the
> cc message and how it relates to education?

ZC: Yes. I think George is right on the money with his assessment
(https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-education/2003-October/000089.html)
that
getting educators to understand the cc message is only part of the larger
issue
of getting folks excited about the prospects of open content. Diffusion of the
concepts and sentiments in Lessig's _The Future of Ideas_ and the recent Goetz
article in Wired, _Open Source Everywhere_
(http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.11/opensource.html) is critical. CC is
pretty revolutionary; if promotion is done right, it should have some ardent
supporters if we lead with our best advocates.

> 3. Do members of this list think that someone has to purposefully
> intervene in order to efficiently and effectively help a significant
> number of educators understand the cc message and how it relates to
> education?

ZC: Yes, though I am biased here. Helping faculty understand and implement
stuff
is what I do for a living. Technophilic early adopters aside, many of the
faculty I deal with do not run in the same IP circles that members of this
list
do, and most faculty are out of the CC loop unless they encounter an article
on
Lessig in the mainstream media (maybe that would be different at an R-1).
They,
or at least some of them, rely on me and my colleagues to a) make sure tech
works they way it should b) help them with creative media endeavors, and c)
keep them informed of developing technologies. Thus, support and adminstrative
IT staff are good candidates for fostering adoption, imho. (see Peter
Schilling's article in Educause "Bring in the Geeks"
www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/EQM0332.pdf). Since we are part of the
production process, technologists are in a great position to at least pose the
question "would you like to make this available to a wider audience?".

> 4. Do members of this list think that a branding of a cc license
> configuration as an "Education License" and an awareness campaign are a
> good way to bring about this understanding, and hence, more cc-licensed
> educational materials?

ZC: Yes.

-Zach