cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Reality Check.

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "David Palmer." <davidpalmer AT westnet.com.au>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Reality Check.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:33:07 -0000

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 10:10, David Wiley wrote:
> David,
>
> Can you summarize this message in language accessible to mere mortals
> like myself? Thanks.

> David Palmer wrote:
>
> >>As for "what real, normal users want," this is why I have harped

> >This aspect interests me also.
> >In the formation of an aspect of a venture, the stated intention of
> >which is to preserve the invaluable, innovative synergy of the commons,
> >I fail to understand why such little use of that commons is being
> >employed!
> >Or, perhaps I don't.
> >I have noticed in the past that there is a misconception amongst the
> >broader community, and this applies to educators as well, that educators
> >are intellectuals. Whilst with all rules there are exceptions, I find it
> >my sad duty to have to confide that this is rarely the case. Educators
> >are the purveyors of the product of intellectuals, and generally no more
> >than that, and quite often fall short on even that function.
> >On the assumption by educators of the aforementioned misconception,
> >there appears to be a tendency to withdraw into an isolationist,
> >fragmented, staffroom-like lack of environment wherein they indulge in
> >pseudointellectual, pedantic, pyrotechnical, verbal spiralisms in some
> >vain attempt to bolster the said misconception. And, in the process of
> >course, locking out in the corridor that naughty, disruptive element
> >that had the temerity to think outside the square, and therefore
> >probably the most creative element in the situation.
> >How many disparate sociological groups were contacted on the formation
> >of this project, may I ask? (Careful with the answer, you may prove
> >every word I say). The first of many that I would have contacted would
> >have been the representatives of those that saw themselves as the
> >victims of the educational process.
> >As an example of what onesuch could contribute as a concept to be
> >incorporated into what was suggested as an extension to the programme
> >(projects, lesson plans ) how about this:-
> >
> >"How to Learn".
> >
> >As a heading?
> >Very few educators do it. It should be first on the educational agenda
> >in my perception.
> >

> >>There is some resistance to making education an option on the
> >>original 'choose your license' page because our goal is to keep the
> >>license building page as simple as possible.
> >>

> >Not just the licence building page, hopefully, but the whole CC project.
> >I think that it is fairly common knowledge now, that the open source
> >software environment is under orchestrated, concerted attack. It is not
> >inconceivable that the GPL may fall victim to the power of amended
> >regulation brought about by the power wielded by commercial lobby groups
> >(If you are unfamiliar with this scenario, I can recommend 'The Future
> >of Ideas' by Lawrence Lessig as an able introduction).
> >And what you may very well be forming here, with Creative Commons, is a
> [...]
Hello,

Well, I've reread the post, and I arrive at a few conclusions:-

it appears to be written in the english language;
my replies appear to be related directly, both physically and mentally
to the relevant quoted sections;
if you have trouble comprehending the fuller context, I fail to see how
a precis/summary will bring enlightenment.

Perhaps if you were to specify which section(s) you are struggling with,
I might be in a better position, with an expanded format, to be able to
assist?
Regards,

David.

A. Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q. Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A. Top-posting.
Q. What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in email?