cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Reality Check.

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Reality Check.
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:10:13 -0600

David,

Can you summarize this message in language accessible to mere mortals like myself? Thanks.

David Palmer wrote:

As for "what real, normal users want," this is why I have harped

on open decision-making processes. I don't think anyone, not even
me ;) can claim to be representative of the General Will without
some means of determining what that Will may happen to be.

-- Stephen

This aspect interests me also.
In the formation of an aspect of a venture, the stated intention of
which is to preserve the invaluable, innovative synergy of the commons,
I fail to understand why such little use of that commons is being
employed!
Or, perhaps I don't.
I have noticed in the past that there is a misconception amongst the
broader community, and this applies to educators as well, that educators
are intellectuals. Whilst with all rules there are exceptions, I find it
my sad duty to have to confide that this is rarely the case. Educators
are the purveyors of the product of intellectuals, and generally no more
than that, and quite often fall short on even that function.
On the assumption by educators of the aforementioned misconception,
there appears to be a tendency to withdraw into an isolationist,
fragmented, staffroom-like lack of environment wherein they indulge in
pseudointellectual, pedantic, pyrotechnical, verbal spiralisms in some
vain attempt to bolster the said misconception. And, in the process of
course, locking out in the corridor that naughty, disruptive element
that had the temerity to think outside the square, and therefore
probably the most creative element in the situation.
How many disparate sociological groups were contacted on the formation
of this project, may I ask? (Careful with the answer, you may prove
every word I say). The first of many that I would have contacted would
have been the representatives of those that saw themselves as the
victims of the educational process.
As an example of what onesuch could contribute as a concept to be
incorporated into what was suggested as an extension to the programme
(projects, lesson plans ) how about this:-

"How to Learn".

As a heading?
Very few educators do it. It should be first on the educational agenda
in my perception.

There is some resistance to making education an option on the original 'choose your license' page because our goal is to keep the license building page as simple as possible.

Not just the licence building page, hopefully, but the whole CC project.
I think that it is fairly common knowledge now, that the open source
software environment is under orchestrated, concerted attack. It is not
inconceivable that the GPL may fall victim to the power of amended
regulation brought about by the power wielded by commercial lobby groups
(If you are unfamiliar with this scenario, I can recommend 'The Future
of Ideas' by Lawrence Lessig as an able introduction).
And what you may very well be forming here, with Creative Commons, is a
next line of defense against corporate encroachment. Please understand
the principles that complexity creates vulnerability, and that authority
and responsibility are synonymous terminologies.
Why not deal with the situation in the spirit of the present superfluous
manner, and supply each subgroup with the same licence, but a different
coloured logo?

BUT, I don't think the existence of the Education License would necessarily prevent work on a separate, more restrictive license. What happens next will just depend on what real, normal users want.

There may be a separate, more restrictive license, but I would
vigorously oppose their being branded as Creative Commons
licenses./unquote.

Ditto.
There are enough retentive personalities creating new restrictive
licence options. I believe personally that we have a dearth of these to
contend with at present, perhaps it might be more beneficial to stay
with the task at hand.

Hello Heather Ford.
Pleased to meet you.
For such supposedly cultured personalities, they don't appear to have
much in the way of manners, do they?
The All Blacks will win the World Cup.
Regards to all,

David.