cc-education - RE: [cc-education] A radical alternative proposal

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Heather Ford <hford AT csli.stanford.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [cc-education] A radical alternative proposal
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:14:32 -0700

Hi all,

I'd just like to introduce myself to the group. My name is Heather Ford - I'm a fellow at the Reuters Digital Vision Fellowship Program at Stanford (http://reuters.stanford.edu) and am going to be working on interactive learning material to teach tolerance in South African schools. I'm from South Africa and have been working for non-profits, including the Association for Progressive Communications (www.apc.org) for the past 4 years - especially in the field of communications policy advocacy. I've helped develop a number of modules for the APC - on Internet policy, the World Summit on the Information Society, women and war - and have used the CC licenses for this content.

I'm really interested in the discussion going on here, but I'm not sure I get it fully, so you'll have to bear with me.

All I can say is that I agree with Stephen about the nature of CC licenses and the reason that they are being seen as such an excellent alternative for freer content online - and it would be important to retain the freedom of those licenses in the future.

But I'm really interested to hear from Dave exactly why there would be the need for a more restrictive license?

I'm also really keen to figure out how CC can be made easier for curriculum developers. At the moment, it is pretty easy to add your work to the commons, but less easy to find relevant works to use in development. For example, all the projects (curriculum, articles, books) that I have worked on at the APC have been registered under the Creative Commons licenses. This was pretty easy to do. What is not easy, is finding specific images etc that I could use for use in designing our curricula etc. I know that this first stage of the CC project is really about getting the word out there about the new licenses, and I know that different formats of works are being developed as we speak, but as the database grows, it will become increasingly important to give value back to those in the community and give more of an incentive to those wanting to contribute works other than music.

One of the ideas that I thought of was if we could get even a small search working such as the one on Google, where you have different tabs to find CC works.

Anyway, its really good to meet all of you - virtually at least.

Look forward to taking part in more discussions :)

Best,

Heather.

At 05:50 PM 10/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Hiya,

We can agree, but you put a pretty big BUT right in the middle...

> BUT, I don't think the existence of the Education License would
> necessarily prevent work on a separate, more restrictive
> license. What
> happens next will just depend on what real, normal users want.

There may be a separate, more restrictive license, but I would
vigorously oppose their being branded as Creative Commons licenses.

There are alternative approaches to the creation of more restrictive
licenses. We are working with ODRL here at NRC and have developed
a wizard system (which will be released one day really soon) that
allows developers and publishers to create what we call licensing
'models' that can incorporate any number of licensing options.

In my view, Creative Commons licensing should be reserved for
content that can be freely used by everyone; that was its purpose
and intent, and that's what it is widely understood to be. We
can work together, even, toward creating a system that supports
a variety of licensing options. But let's not dilute what Creative
Commons stands for.

As for "what real, normal users want," this is why I have harped
on open decision-making processes. I don't think anyone, not even
me ;) can claim to be representative of the General Will without
some means of determining what that Will may happen to be.

-- Stephen

-
Stephen Downes ~ Senior Researcher ~ National Research Council Canada
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www.downes.ca stephen AT downes.ca
stephen.downes AT nrc.ca http://www.iit.nrc.ca/e-learning.html
Subscribe to my free daily newsletter featuring news and articles
about online knowledge, learning, community
http://www.downes.ca/cgi-bin/website/subscribe.cgi
or read it at http://www.downes.ca/news/OLDaily.htm