cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A radical alternative proposal

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A radical alternative proposal
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:30:18 -0500

Downes, Stephen wrote:

What we are calling the 'Educational License' is equivalent to the
'Attribution non-commercial share-alike' license, as described at
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/

Yep

That the 'Educational License' is a difference of name and branding only,
not a difference of terms and conditions, of the By-NC-SA license.
Yep

And that this will *continue* to be the case (in other words, there is a
committment on the part of Creative Commons not to introduce further
conditions or restrictions after a user base has been established).

Yep. We couldn't bait and switch legally. "Oh, that license you chose? We've changed it's conditions now. Just FYI." We're not long distance providers. =)

BUT, I don't think the existence of the Education License would necessarily prevent work on a separate, more restrictive license. What happens next will just depend on what real, normal users want.

And that the 'Educational License' is offered as a handy-dandy short-cut
through the license-creation wizard, again, not creating a new type of
licensing, but rather, offering a convenient, easy-to-find option for
educators.

Yep

If this is the proposal, I endorse the proposal.
Glad to hear it! See, we can agree! ; )