cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Metadata scraper roadmap

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: BjornW <burobjorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Metadata scraper roadmap
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 12:45:49 +0100

+1

My experience as an external volunteer developer is the same as Maarten.
This actually made me more or less stop contributing to CC.
I'd also like to see a more future-proof solution where some thought has
been given to prevent the mistakes from the past, instead of quick 'fixes'.

grtz
BjornW

On 04-03-13 12:08, Maarten Zeinstra wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> There is no documentation for a start. It is a very value adding
> feature of the deed page but without documentation is probably
> sparsely used and hard to convince third parties to use RDFa to enrich
> their rights statements.
>
> But frankly and if you read closely this entire thread is not about
> the metadata scraper. It is about the lack of transparency, direction
> and general documentation, as well as leadership in the technical
> infrastructure of CC.
>
> The entire community basically consist of recent departures from the
> CC tech team and me. In recent years I've tried on multiple occasions
> to contribute on the codebase/ infrastructure of CC but I always run
> up to a barrier of having no central team that can support efforts to
> such an extent that is adds value.
>
> With this thread I don't want to hear quick fixes or answers to my
> direct questions. I want to receive some confirmation (in
> policy/roadmaps/support) that cc-technologies is not at a dead end.
>
> Best,
>
> Maarten
>
> On Feb 28, 2013, at 19:46 , Dan Mills <dan AT creativecommons.org
> <mailto:dan AT creativecommons.org>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Maarten,
>>
>> I actually thought I'd sent a mail to this list, but indeed,
>> apparently I did not! So, let me fix that right away :)
>>
>> Hello. I'm Dan Mills, the new Director of Product Strategy at
>> Creative Commons. In short, I'm a technical product guy with roots in
>> open source and the Web. You can read a little more about me here:
>>
>> http://creativecommons.org/staff#danmills
>>
>> More specifically on roadmap--I have been reviewing the existing
>> infrastructure and identifying the most urgent fixes we need to do,
>> while at the same time thinking about what the forward direction will
>> be and what kind of team we will need.
>>
>> What are the burning issues with the scraper form your POV?
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Maarten Zeinstra wrote:
>>
>>> Oh come on!
>>>
>>> That simply is not good enough.
>>>
>>> We CC-affiliates / open activists need to be able to do our work. I
>>> raised this question because I do work for Europeana, The European
>>> version of the DPLA, but 5 years ahead. they were instrumental and
>>> the first adopter of the Public Domain Mark. Europeana works with
>>> 2600+ cultural institutions and has about 5 million works PD/CC0
>>> marked. Now when one of those institutions mails me and asked me why
>>> there is no extra metadata on PDM pages coming of Europeana, I need
>>> to be able to say that there is possibly a script blocker on the
>>> client side and that Europeana and CreativeCommons.org
>>> <http://creativecommons.org/> are functioning properly, see this
>>> page for more information (no page or documentation to be found...).
>>> When I cannot do that I cannot do my job. When I cannot do my job I
> [...]

met vriendelijke groet,
Bjorn Wijers

* b u r o b j o r n .nl *
digitaal vakmanschap | digital craftsmanship

Werkdagen:
Van maandag t/m donderdag vanaf 10:00
Vrijdag is voor experimenteren en eigen projecten.

Postbus 14145
3508 SE Utrecht
The Netherlands

tel: +31 6 49 74 78 70