cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] GSoC proposal suggestion

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Dean Olson <bluesector AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: CC Developer Mailing List <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] GSoC proposal suggestion
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 22:14:52 -0400

Well, I submitted a proposal to work on Chrome and Firefox extensions collectively rather than separately. The reason I did not want to separate them is because I believe it can be of great benefit to build them together and to share as much code between them as possible. The extension frameworks for both browsers use _javascript_, CSS, and XML to construct their extensions. If we can create a common code base between the two extensions, I believe that they can be maintained together rather than duplicating effort down the road.

If it is decided that the extensions would be better off developed independently of one another, then I would be happy to work on the Chrome extension since there seems to be less interest expressed in developing for that browser. I've looked over the documentation for building extensions for both browsers and I see many conceptual similarities between them. And the common language of _javascript_ combined with XML makes it so much easier to design for them both.

Dean Olson